The Bone Bed: The Dinosaur Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DinoMania Trivia!

+6
Dragonith
Dino90210
Lasher221
Vektrix
Dino589
schnautzr
10 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

DinoMania Trivia! Empty DinoMania Trivia!

Post by schnautzr Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:01 pm

Rules:

• Each player may ask up to one (1) question at a time.
  • All players may guess the answer to all open questions.
  • Once the correct answer is guessed, the person who asked the question should verify this so points can be distributed. If you like, elaborate on the answer.
  • If no one is able to guess an answer within a reasonable amount of time, it would be courteous to close the question and tell everyone the answer.
  • Players guessing answers may NOT research the answers until the question is closed.
  • All questions should be numbered. The first question will be #1, the second is #2, etc.
  • When guessing an answer, please indicate the number of the question you're answering.
  • One (1) point will be awarded for each answer that is guessed correctly before the question is closed.
  • If multiple players guess parts of an answer correctly, but no one guesses the complete answer correctly, each of those players may be awarded half a point upon the completion of the answer.
  • If a correct answer is guessed, but this isn't the answer the questioner was looking for, the question should be extended to allow for additional guesses. Announce that the answer you're looking for hasn't been guessed yet and make sure immediately that the unexpected correct answerer is rewarded with a point.
  • More rules may be added as needed.
  • It's never too late to join!!!

Leaderboard:
Dino58918.5
schnautzr8
Dracilust3.5
DinoLord3
dino902103
Hermes8882.5
94titano1
Vektrix1
Therizinosaur1
zillamaster550.5

List of questions (this will be updated periodically, and open questions are bolded)
#1A plesiosaur was discovered recently. Once the discoverer realized he'd given it the same name as an isopod, he changed the name. Give either the old name or the new name (or both, if you know both) of this plesiosaur.Nichollsia, later renamed Nichollssaura
#2What family was rugops in?
A: Tyrannosaurae
B: Allosaurae
C: Abeiliosauridae
Abelisauridae
#3Some of these species of dinosaur have been renamed and some of them are made up. Only one of them is a valid species. Which one is it?
~Seismosaurus hallorum
~Minotaurasaurus tutus
~Seismosaurus longus
~Syntarsus rhodesiensis
~Santanaraptor placidus
~Edmarka tanneri
~Monoclonius brinkmani
~Diceratops hatcheri
Santanaraptor placidus
#4What does the name of Odobenocetops mean?"tusk-faced whale"
#5What museum houses the bones of Rhabdopelix?It's a trick question. No museum houses the bones of Rhabdopelix-- Cope lost them!
#6Which of the following is the largest? NOTE! One is a fake, to throw you off!
A:Dryosarus
B:Compsognathus
C:Tasthlosaurus
D:Heterodontosaurus
Dryosaurus
#7Name at least three genera of elasmosaur.Aphrosaurus, Brancasaurus, Callawayasaurus, Callowayosaurus, Discosaurus, Elasmosaurus, Fresnosaurus, Hydralmosaurus, Hydrorion, Hydrotherosaurus, Leurospondylus, Libonectes, Mauisaurus, Morenosaurus, Occitanosaurus, Styxosaurus, Terminonatator, Thalassomedon, Tuarangisaurus, Woolungasaurus
#8Which two genera both have the same meaning of their names, even though they are spelled differently?Kentrosaurus and Centrosaurus, whose names are both derived from the Greek word kentros, meaning "point" or "prickle."
#9Scientists recently discovered the colors of a few moa feathers. There were two general coloring patterns found in individual feathers. Name them.The two prevalent color patterns were brown and a speckled brown/tan.
#10Name the formation where the largest Tyrannosaurus skeleton was discovered.Hell Creek
#11What was the name of the city where Tatankacephalus was discovered?Buffalo, Montana
#12What family does this dino belong in?
Dino name: Dracoscius
None; it did not exist.
#13Who was the man that first coined the term "dinosaur"?Sir Richard Owen
#14Saurolophus has been unearthed in three countries. Name two of them.Mongolia, the United States, Canada
#15Studies of the K-T extinction event reveal what important ingredient for the global wipeout near the massive crater?oil field, iridium
#16Where was the most recent group of U.S. sauropod fossils found?Salt Lake City, Utah
#17During which epoch did the true frog diverge from the protofrog?Early Jurassic
#18This dinosaur was named after the fact that the digsite it came from had an abundance of scorpions.Skorpiovenator
#19A pack of Albertosaurus was found once. How many individuals were in the pack?22
#20In Dinosaur Planet,there was an episode on dwarf dinosaurs living on an island.What ocean was this island of dwarf dinosaurs located at ,and can you name 3 of the dwarfs featured??The island was located in the Tethys Sea, and some of the dwarfs featured include Magyarosaurus, "Pyroraptor," "Iguanodon," and "Troodon."
#21The craze over the newly discovered sauropods overshadowed a very special recently discovered fish from the Cretaceous period. What modern fish does this newly discovered fish resemble?basking shark
#22When they were first discovered, the claws of Therizinosaurus were originally believed to belong to what?A giant turtle, more specifically part of its ribcage.
#23In Disney's Dinosaur,there was a herd of dinosaurs moving to the Nesting Grounds. However,many died along the way. Which one of the dinosaurs in the herd died first?An Ornithomimus
#24In the Jim Henson television series Dinosaurs, the father worked for what type of industry?The organization is called WESAYSO. It's an omnipotent monopolistic corporation that has basically taken over the world. Earl works for the housing development division as a tree pusher.
#25The new name of Altispinax IS????? The name has been changed, due to discovery disputes.Becklespinax
#26In one episode of Jurassic Fight Club,there were 3 Allosaurus that were killed. Can you explain how the Allosaurs died in order from the first to last death?The first Allosaurus got stabbed by the Stegosaurus. The second Allosaurus got crushed by the neck of the Camarasaurus. The final Allosaurus got crushed under the Camarasaurus.
#27In the beginning of the movie, "Disney's Dinosaur," an egg was transported from it's trampled nest, to the Lemur Island. What animals interacted with it during it's journey?(Meaning,which animals touched it,not looked at it)The egg interacted with 2 Oviraptors, a Koolasuchus, a herd of Pachyrhinosaurus, the Pterandon, and a flock of Icthyornis.
#28What was the most major change that had to be made in The Land Before Time between its conception and its production?It was decided the dinosaurs should talk so that the movie wouldn't lose the interest of children.
#29What were the names of the dinosaurs in Disney's Dinosaur?(Note:Not the species name,the character's name.)Aladar, Neera, Kron, Ed, Eema, Baylene, and Bruton.
#30According to The Day After Tomorrow, how did the mammoth at the museum die?It was grazing on fresh green grass, when all of a sudden it froze solid from a drastic cooldown. According to the girl giving the tour at the museum, it was still chewing its grass when this occurred.
#31Name all of the dinosaur fighters in the roster from the game Warpath: Jurassic Park.Tyrannosaurus, Spinosaurus, Cryolophosaurus, Megaraptor, Suchomimus, Albertosaurus, Carcharodontosaurus, Giganotosaurus, Stygimoloch, Styracosaurus, Pachycephalosaurus, Akylosaurus, Triceratops
#32In the Disney's Dinosaur game for the console,there was a "dinosaur" added from the movie.This "dinosaur" didn't have a character name,but was given one in the game (she was also a playable character throughout the game).What was the "dinosaur" added into the game as a playable character?Pteranodon
#33What's an ichnopaleontologist?Someone who studies impressions in the prehistoric mud
#34A recent study shows that polar bears diverged around 150K years ago from what species?brown bear
#36Name two synonyms for Pachycephalosaurus.Stygimoloch, Dracorex, Tylosteus, Troodon wyomingensis
#37Which species of dinosaur was named after a musicianMasiaksaurus knopfleri, named after Mark Knopfler.
#38Paleobacteriological research has led to what recent course of action to respond to the limited resources on Earth?A species of bacteria has been making petroleum for millions of years, and scientists are now farming and milking this bacteria-- and catalyzing it. Their goal is to turn petroleum into a renewable resource.
#39After whom was the recently discovered oldest fossil discovered, named?
#40How do we know Apatosaurus didn't eat flowers?Because flowering plants did not evolve until the Cretaceous; Apatosaurus lived in the Jurassic and was extinct by then.
#41What dinosaurs in the Land Before Time were the main focus in the latest sequel (Movie 13)?Beipiaosaurus
#42What dinosaur was larger than Tyrannosaurus?Many. In Theropods alone there was Spinosaurus, Giganotosaurus, Mapusaurus and Carcharadontosaurus. Most sauropods were larger. Lambeosaurus and Shantungosaurus were also larger.
#43Which dinosaur was originally named after male genitals?Megalosaurus was originally named Scrotum humanum because of the suggestive shape of the initially found bone fragment.
#44Mosasaurs had a body temperature of what?Being cold-blooded, they would have had the same body temperature as the water around them.
#45Which group of dinosaurs has been proven to have been semiaquatic?Spinosaurs.
#46No one would recognize the mammalian bite marks on bones except a scientist who used to do what?deer hunting
#47What were the largest members of the sauropods, hadrosaurs, iguanadonts, albelisaurs, and ornithomimids?Amphucoelias, Zhuchengosaurus, Iguanodon, Abelisaurus, Deinocheirus.

Last edited by schnautzr on Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:02 pm; edited 11 times in total
schnautzr
schnautzr
Admin

Authority : paleobiology enthusiast

Back to top Go down

DinoMania Trivia! Empty Re: DinoMania Trivia!

Post by Dino589 Sat May 01, 2010 10:53 am

Ah, finally thought of a good one.

#37: Which species of dinosaur had its species named after a musician?

Dino589
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by schnautzr Sat May 01, 2010 1:16 pm

You're kidding, right? There's one named after a musician?
schnautzr
schnautzr
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dino589 Sat May 01, 2010 1:34 pm

Aye.

Dino589
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by schnautzr Sat May 01, 2010 2:19 pm

Gee, I'm gonna have to pass on that one.

In the meantime, here's question #38:
Paleobacteriological research has led to what recent course of action to respond to the limited resources on Earth?
schnautzr
schnautzr
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dino589 Sun May 02, 2010 1:39 am

It would seem we are even, for that one has me stumped as well. Hmm...

Dino589
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Sun May 02, 2010 1:48 am

A musician, I know few named after authors, but none of musicians.
Vektrix
Vektrix

Back to top Go down

Post by Dino589 Sun May 02, 2010 1:54 am

If you need a hint, the musician is British.
I have a second hint if you guys want that too.

Dino589
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by schnautzr Sun May 02, 2010 2:37 am

Shoot...I know of a water beetle named after Ray Orbison...
schnautzr
schnautzr
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Sun May 02, 2010 2:55 am

You mean Roy Orbison?

Masiakasaurus Dino - named after Mark Knopfler?
Vektrix
Vektrix

Back to top Go down

Post by Dino589 Sun May 02, 2010 3:05 am

Well done, Vek.

That also puts you on the scoreboard.

Dino589
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by schnautzr Sun May 02, 2010 3:06 am

Yes, Roy...wow.
schnautzr
schnautzr
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Vektrix Sun May 02, 2010 3:32 am

Yay, on the scoreboard.

#39 After whom was the recently discovered oldest animal fossil discovered, named?

Last edited by Vektrix on Sun May 02, 2010 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vektrix
Vektrix

Back to top Go down

Post by Dino589 Sun May 02, 2010 5:52 am

Oh dang, another tricky one. Hmm...

Dino589
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by schnautzr Sun May 02, 2010 7:06 am

There was a plant from the Ediacaran named after a guy named Cooper...he named it after himself. Somehow I missed the news release, though, for this newer oldest fossil.
schnautzr
schnautzr
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dino589 Sun May 02, 2010 10:53 am

schnautzr wrote:There was a plant from the Ediacaran named after a guy named Cooper...he named it after himself. Somehow I missed the news release, though, for this newer oldest fossil.
Well, seems like you got that one. I actually hadn't even heard this news... Lol, though I suppose I could just keep guessing random names.

Dino589
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lasher221 Tue May 04, 2010 7:51 am

lol
Lasher221
Lasher221

Back to top Go down

Post by schnautzr Tue May 04, 2010 4:04 pm

#39: What? That can't be the answer...especially since I was VERY wrong...the name is Cooksonia, named after Isabel Cookson-- and it was a Silurian plant. That said, I give up Sad

#38: The answer is bacteria farming! A species of bacteria has been making petroleum for millions of years, and scientists are now farming and milking this bacteria-- and catalyzing it. Their goal is to turn petroleum into a renewable resource.

#40: How do we know Apatosaurus didn't eat flowers?
schnautzr
schnautzr
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dino90210 Thu May 06, 2010 12:20 pm

Apatasaurus didn't eat flowers because flowering plants didn't evolve yet when it was alive.

Dino90210

Back to top Go down

Post by Dino589 Thu May 06, 2010 12:30 pm

Dino90210 wrote:Apatasaurus didn't eat flowers because flowering plants didn't evolve yet when it was alive.
FFFFFFFFFF-

*Mega facepalm*

>.<

I can't believe I didn't get that! It is so basic, so simple! I knew it too! Why was I tripping over it?! >.<

Dino589
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dino90210 Thu May 06, 2010 12:43 pm

Dino589 wrote:
Dino90210 wrote:Apatasaurus didn't eat flowers because flowering plants didn't evolve yet when it was alive.
FFFFFFFFFF-

*Mega facepalm*

>.<

I can't believe I didn't get that! It is so basic, so simple! I knew it too! Why was I tripping over it?! >.<
Ha! The sniper is finally out-sniped!! Twisted Evil

Dino90210

Back to top Go down

Post by Dino589 Thu May 06, 2010 12:57 pm

I blame Schnautzr. I was looking into it too much and trying to overthink it, when it was really quite basic. It was a nifty trick question, and it had me quite fooled.

Dino589
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragonith Thu May 06, 2010 1:11 pm

lol looks like someone lost their killing spree.Very Happy

And now,time for my famously hard (yet able to be solved by hints) question!

#41:What dinosaurs in the Land Before Time was the main focus in the latest sequel (Movie 13)?
Dragonith
Dragonith

Back to top Go down

Post by schnautzr Thu May 06, 2010 1:24 pm

Hey guys...sorry about the format of the quotes...Forumotion was notified of the bug yesterday-- it isn't just our forum experiencing it-- it's all their forums. They're working to fix it.

Great job on guessing that one, dino9!
schnautzr
schnautzr
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lasher221 Sun May 09, 2010 6:46 am

This is an easy one
#32: What Dinosuar is bigger than a T-Rex?
Lasher221
Lasher221

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum