The Bone Bed: The Dinosaur Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Evidence of raptors digging for burrowing mammals

Go down

Evidence of raptors digging for burrowing mammals Empty Evidence of raptors digging for burrowing mammals

LiveScience - Clawed dinosaur caught in the act of digging for prey (press release with reconstructive illustration, photo of fossil)
schnautzr
schnautzr
Admin

Authority : paleobiology enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

Evidence of raptors digging for burrowing mammals :: Comments

Post Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:39 am by Dino589

Ha, very nice. We had actually just been discussing the likelihood of something like this over at where I work.
I have to say though, that illustration is horrid.

Back to top Go down

schnautzr

Post Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:36 am by schnautzr

I agree, 100%. Although I hadn't imagined the digging would be done with the feet, but rather, the claws. I guess that's the difference between us and dinosaurs, though Wink

Back to top Go down

Post Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:39 am by Dino589

Yes, I had thought it more likely to use the hands. Of course, using the feet is just as plausible, but using its 'killing claw' to do it like it appears to be doing in the pic is something I find more doubtful.

Back to top Go down

schnautzr

Post Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:52 am by schnautzr

Right. Judging by the fossil impression, I'd say the large talon wasn't the one that dislodged the rock.

Back to top Go down

Post Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:24 pm by Mantooth02

If their arms were feathered they may want to avoid digging with them to prevent damage, that and I doubt digging would be easy with palms facing inwards.

Back to top Go down

schnautzr

Post Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:28 pm by schnautzr

A very good observation...I can't think of any burrowing animals with paws/claws facing inward, they all face downward (as in most burrowing mammals) or outward (as in moles).

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down