Inaccuracy Game!

Go down

Inaccuracy Game!

Post by Hermes888 on Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:53 pm

Summer, I'm bored out of my mind. I was watching TV yesterday, and they had this show so inaccuracy, it drove me crazy. So I've come up with a game:
I write a paragraph about what people think the "Jurassic" was like, and you point out the flaws! And believe me, some will be easy, some will be hard. Twisted Evil

1,000,000 Years B.C. The Jurassic Era. The Reign of the Dinosaurs. A Brontosaurus looks at some leaves at the top of the tree, it's bendy neck reaches up and grabs them. As it chews, it looks around. The lush forests and open grasslands are homes to giants like Stegosaurus, Triceratops, and Ankylosaurus. A Tyrannosaurus crawls out of the bushes, its tail dragging behind him. His flicking tongue can sense the prey. He's the largest thing ever. He sees Triceratops, strong and sturdy, and attacks. An epic duel proceeds, and Rex wins. He roars in triumph, but it is short lived, a fireball screeches across the sky. A little shrew crawls out, all the dinosaurs around him are dead. Dinosaurs everywhere are dead. It is the mammal's turn.

How many inaccuracies can you find? One will drive you nuts.

Hermes888

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Inaccuracy Game!

Post by Dino589 on Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:52 am

Lol.

I hope the others are harder.

--Non-avian dinosaurs were not alive 1 million years ago
--Brontosaurus is no longer valid
--Sauropod necks were flexible, but I wouldn't call them bendy.
--Sauropods could not chew.
--Grass did not start appearing until the mid-Cretaceous (or somewhere around there, as I recall), meaning those grasslands did not exist.
--Triceratops, Tyrannosaurus, and Ankylosaurus did not live in the Jurassic.
--Dinosaurs did not drag their tails.
--Dinosaurs likely did not have snake-like flicking tongues. On a similar note, they did not use their tongues to sense prey.
--Tyrannosaurus was not 'the largest thing ever.'
--Were shrews present at the end of the Cretaceous? There were small mammals, though I don't think there were shrews...
--That whole incident with the dinos dieing happened ridiculously fast. Dinosaurs would have still lived for a short while after the actual impact.

Did I get them all? Damn, that was somewhat brutal to read.... lol.

Dino589
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hermes888 on Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:48 pm

Dino589 wrote:Lol.

--Grass did not start appearing until the mid-Cretaceous (or somewhere around there, as I recall), meaning those grasslands did not exist.
--Dinosaurs likely did not have snake-like flicking tongues. On a similar note, they did not use their tongues to sense prey.
--Were shrews present at the end of the Cretaceous? There were small mammals, though I don't think there were shrews...
--That whole incident with the dinos dieing happened ridiculously fast. Dinosaurs would have still lived for a short while after the actual impact.

It was painful to watch... oh god... the pain... the fury... the THREE-FINGERED TYRANNOSAURUS! (Not even "Allosaurus," they said "T-Rex")
You missed one. B.C. is no longer valid. It's B.C.E. now. Razz

Hermes888

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dino589 on Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:21 am

Hermes888 wrote:
Dino589 wrote:Lol.

It was painful to watch... oh god... the pain... the fury... the THREE-FINGERED TYRANNOSAURUS! (Not even "Allosaurus," they said "T-Rex")
You missed one. B.C. is no longer valid. It's B.C.E. now. Razz

Ah! Haha, I suppose I am still living a little in the past. : P

Dino589
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by schnautzr on Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:21 am

You did miss a couple, Dino. I'd give you the first of these, though, since you clearly noticed it but it slipped your mind.

* 1 Ma was not the Jurassic, it was the very late Neogene. The Jurassic was more like 100 Ma.
* The formerly dubbed Brontosaurus is believed to have grazed on lower foliage. Only two types of sauropods (the brachiosaurs and the creature you're guessing in Hangman right now) are believed to have grazed the tops of trees.
* I can hardly imagine Tyrannosaurus or any tyrannosaur crawling! The arms are far too short...

Good catch, Dino...modern shrews didn't evolve until the Uintian-- although at 1 Ma they were definitely around, lol.

And for the record, B.C. is still valid. 1 B.C. is the same as 3 C.E.; 1 B.C.E. is 4 B.C. It's just a different time scale that is used by a growing portion of the world. I forget the logic behind it, but I still use B.C. and A.D. because that's what I'm familiar with. It's just as correct as Kelvin versus Centigrade-- two different standards for two different purposes. However, when speaking of millions of years ago, it's more appropriate to say 1 Ma or 1 MYA as opposed to calculating the actual date.

Edit: That was fun... Smile Thanks.
schnautzr
Admin

Authority : paleobiology enthusiast

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dino589 on Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:56 am

Fair play on your part as well, Schnautzr.

Lol, I realize that 1 MYA was not the Jurassic, I was getting at that with my first point. As for your third point, I was more under the impression it was stalking out of the forest rather than literally crawling on all fours. Nice get on the second point though. I actually didn't make much of it, though then again, I am not as big a follower of sauropods. I suppose I ought to be reading SV-POW more in case I get quizzed on sauropods again. lol.

Dino589
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by schnautzr on Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:44 am

SV-POW? What?

Hmmm, I wonder how easy it would be to write up another of these....lol, we could just pull random scenes from movies...
schnautzr
Admin

Authority : paleobiology enthusiast

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dino589 on Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:48 am

Lol, Sauropod Vertebrae-Picture of the Week. Its a paleontology blog.

Dino589
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down