The Bone Bed: The Dinosaur Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A puzzle!

2 posters

Go down

A puzzle! Empty A puzzle!

Post by schnautzr Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:43 pm

Here's a classic puzzle, see if you can figure out the answer without cheating. According to Albert Einstein, only 2% of the human population will ever be able to solve this problem. I've reworded the problem to reflect our interests.

Dr. Bones owned a dinosaur park with five dinosaurs. Through an unfortunate series of events, all five dinosaurs have disappeared.

Only one dinosaur (the one that broke through the fence) will be recoverable. Dr. Bones has hired you as a detective to figure out for him which dinosaur that broke through the fence.

Unfortunately, Dr. Bones has a bad memory and also hasn't taken very good notes. He knows that each dinosaur was a different color and at a different level on the same food chain. He also knows that each one made a different noise and that each one had a particularly quirky behavior.

Here are all of the notes Dr. Bones has been able to find in his log:

1. The Pretzelcoatlus was a dull brown color with black spots.
2. The Cardboardosaurus was killed by a kamikaze fighter pilot.
3. The Glassoraptor seemed to take delight in crushing flowers.
4. The hot pink dinosaur with yellow polka dots was once observed trying to eat the black-and-white striped dinosaur.
5. The black-and-white striped dinosaur liked to pick up large rocks and throw them.
6. One day, a squealing sound faded quickly as its maker fell into a deep chasm.
7. The purple dinosaur with a green belly was a very loud shrieker.
8. The predator of the dinosaur that only ate herbivores was often spotted pushing its eggs off cliffsides.
9. The Styrofoamasaurus once ate all of the park's topiaries.
10. Until one dinosaur spontaneously combusted, Dr. Bones had to keep a roaring dinosaur in a separate pen from it because one of the two would have eaten the other.
11. Following the alien abduction of one dinosaur, Dr. Bones was able to allow the shrieking dinosaur to wander freely into the abducted dinosaur's pen, which he could not do before due to their positions on the food chain.
12. One dinosaur liked to stand on top of volcanoes and groan.
13. The Aluminumsaurus grunted a lot.
14. The Styrofoamasaurus had to be kept separate from the green dinosaur with the yellow stripes.
15. The dinosaur that roared and the dinosaur that frequently bumped into trees had to be kept separated.

Edit: Sorry! I mistyped #8, but it's fixed now. The puzzle should now be solveable!

Last edited by schnautzr on Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:48 am; edited 2 times in total
schnautzr
schnautzr
Admin

Authority : paleobiology enthusiast

Back to top Go down

A puzzle! Empty Re: A puzzle!

Post by Hermes888 Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:55 am

Trying to solve it with a table, will PM you when I do.
What is #6? I don't get it.
#10. What is "it?"
#8. Can't you just say carnivore?

Hermes888

Back to top Go down

Post by schnautzr Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:56 am

Whoops! I just noticed I messed up clue # 8! Sorry about that!

It should say:
8. The predator of the dinosaur that only ate herbivores was often spotted pushing its eggs off cliffsides.

Let me try to break down the clues you've asked about:

6. One day, a squealing sound faded quickly as its maker fell into a deep chasm.
- this dinosaur makes squealing noises
- this dinosaur died from falling into a chasm

- this dinosaur pushes its eggs off cliffsides
- this dinosaur preys on the dinosaur that eats herbivores. That should tell you exactly where it falls on the food chain, assuming that dinosaur A eats dinosaur B which eats dinosaur C which eats dinosaur D which eats dinosaur E.

10. Until one dinosaur spontaneously combusted, Dr. Bones had to keep a roaring dinosaur in a separate pen from it because one of the two would have eaten the other.
- this clue describes two dinosaurs-- one that died of spontaneous combustion and another that roars.
- this clue says that one of these two dinosaurs was a predator of the other.

Hope that helps, and sorry for the misinformation!
schnautzr
schnautzr
Admin

Authority : paleobiology enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum